As an intern at Westword in 2005, I was given a handful of news stories to follow during my summer tenure, and a couple of them turned into print pieces. The first was about two practically identical buildings in Douglas County that had been appraised to have remarkably different values — which meant one homeowner was paying higher taxes. I outlined the issue in "A Tale of Two Buildings", and then followed up on the situation a couple of weeks later that month with "A Pain in the Assets."
The second story involved a "naturopathic practitioner" who likely seemed well-certified to his patients but had actually been educated online through a short course. After a few of his patients wound up in the hospital, he was indicted on several charges. I wrote a piece for the paper, "Do No Harm," and then followed up for his sentencing.
It was a few years before I wrote another news story — and this story fell into my lap in an unusual way. It was a profile of a woman who teaches trauma-relief techniques to police officers, framing mindfulness practices through a scientific lens to help them better understand the material. She's also a drummer, and my first music feature for Westword involved one of her musical projects.
More recently, I've been writing about health care and benefits news; I'm a contributing writer for Benefits Selling magazine and have also ghost-written articles for placement in assorted publications.
And I'm currently writing, among other things, cannabis news for Westword. Here are some of my favorite stories about that particular topic:
- 9.17.14: "Marijuana: Heartbreaking Testimony About Caregiver Cap at Board of Health Hearing"
- 9.15.14: "Marijuana Working Group Asks: Should All Pot Edibles Be Colored Orange?"
- 9.10.14: "Top Five Lessons From Day One of Marijuana for Medical Professionals Conference"
- 9.8.14: "Driving Stoned: Are Field Sobriety Tests and Drug Recognition Experts the Next Big Step?"
- 9.3.14: "Marijuana Enforcement Division Hearing: Pot Edibles Debate, Indoor v. Outdoor Plant Counts"
- 8.15.14: "CDPHE Discusses Pilot Pot Surveillance Programs, Febreze During Marijuana Workshop"
- 8.8.14: "Pot-Related Immigration Hell the Subject of New Movie, Kickstarter Campaign"
- 6.30.14: "Four Most Important Factors in a Marijuana Business Investment"